Friday, June 21, 2013

Watermelon Feta and Olive Salad


I can't believe it has been a month since I last posted any recipes! Truly this past month has been fairly crazy and the next few weeks aren't going to be any easier with many birthdays coming up. Despite the numerous celebrations, most of the parties are being catered and therefore do not require my cooking/baking efforts. As a result I won't have my usual slew of occasions to try new cake recipes but I'm sure I will make other things to satisfy my recipe cravings.

This salad came together more out of curiosity than anything else as I have often watched shows on Food Network featuring the combination of watermelon and feta cheese. Also my brother recently mentioned that he read somewhere that sprinkling a little bit of salt on watermelon actually makes it sweeter. I thought that a nice summertime salad combining sweet watermelon and salty feta cheese would be just right for lunch. Since I like olives I decided to throw some in as well and dressed the salad with some fresh squeezed lime juice, a little salt, and olive oil. Overall it was simple and fresh and surprisingly not too sweet.

Watermelon Feta and Olive Salad
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
  • ¼ large watermelon, cut into chunks
  • ½ can pitted black olives, sliced
  • ¼ bunch fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
  • 150 grams feta cheese
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  1. Combine the lime juice and sliced red onion in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the juice to soak through the onion.
  2. Roughly cut the watermelon into chunks and combine with the sliced olives and crumbled feta cheese.
  3. Tear off the parsley leaves from the stalks and add to the salad along with the sliced onion and lime juice.
  4. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt (not too much as the olives and feta cheese are already salty). Gently mix so that all of the ingredients are incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment