Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Third Birthday Blog

Has it been three years already? Wow...I can't believe it. Looking back over my blog I realized that I'm actually one day late in celebrating the anniversary of my first post but then again there has been a lot of commotion in my life recently and I'm surprised I even remembered.

Just last month I graduated from university and finished my nursing program. I also took my licensing exam a couple of weeks ago and will be starting work as a registered nurse next month. I'm still struggling to understand how to fit into the "real world" now that I am no longer a student...though my mom likes to remind me that my studies are not over yet. However for the time being I am learning how to adjust to this new chapter in my life and awaiting the adventures and opportunities I have yet to discover.

It goes without saying that I have continued to love and discover new foods over the past year. Last year I wrote about how food could be used as a connection between people: to bridge gaps between new acquaintances or recreate distant memories. I still very much believe that is true and my food experiences have only served to strengthen my convictions.

Whereas my blog used to be a novelty form of entertainment, used as a form of escaping from everyday stress, now it is a well-engrained part of me. I don't use the blog or cooking as an escape so much as an outlet for my creativity. I used to have a goal of posting at least four recipes a month and, unfortunately, for the first time in three years I missed my goal last month. But you know what...I survived and so did my blog.

I think that this year taught me that setting goals is good, but knowing and understanding that things don't always go according to plan is important. The key is to learn how to adapt and accept new things and ideas. In a way cooking is a great way to do so because it teaches you to think on your feet and allows you to come up with new and exciting combinations using all sorts of ingredients. I may not be the most adventurous person in the world...but when it comes to the kitchen I am definitely more fearless than I used to be and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment