Sunday, June 30, 2013

Jalapeno Pepper Poppers


I made these little peppers on a spur last week when I saw pictures one night browsing my favorite food website tastespotting.com. In truth I didn't actually use jalapeno peppers to make them because my mom couldn't find any at the grocery store so she bought mini hot peppers instead.

I made sure to use gloves when handling the peppers so that no residue would be left behind on my skin, something I learned from past experience. I wasn't sure exactly how spicy the peppers would turn out but once they were baked they were actually just barely spicy. In fact, coupled with the cheesy filling I would say they weren't spicy at all, but then again I like things extra spicy so my palette is stronger than most.

Looking back I'm glad I made the peppers because it was fast and a fun appetizer, however I was disappointed that they flattened out once they were baked. I think that in the future I will leave the peppers whole and stuff the filling inside then apply an egg wash and crumb coating to the outside. Also I'll use real jalapenos and see if they turn out spicier.

On a separate note, one of my friends just made me aware that Google reader is officially dead and people can no longer subscribe to follow your blog through it. However, she pointed out that there is a great service called Bloglovin which has the same function. I checked it out and I realized that it's kind of like Pinterest but just for blogs. Although I have a Pinterest (but never really use it) I think I will try out this Bloglovin and see if there are more food blogs out there that catch my eye, besides my favorite Annie's Eats. I have put my blog up there as well so it can be followed by clicking here. I hope my readers will continue to enjoy my blog and maybe this way more can follow too.

Jalapeno Pepper Poppers
Note: I didn't exactly measure quantities that I used so the recipe below is approximate. Also I have updated it to include whole peppers rather than halves and a different method of finishing them. In addition, I would recommend wearing gloves while handling the peppers.
  • 5-6 jalapeno peppers
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 heaping spoonfuls cream cheese
  • 1 heaping spoonful sour cream
  • ¼-½ cup shredded cheese
  • ¼-½ tsp ground cumin
  • ¼-½ tsp paprika
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper 
  1. Wash the peppers and remove the stems and seeds, keeping the bodies intact. Set aside.
  2. Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheese, garlic, cumin, and paprika. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your own preference. Add salt and pepper.
  3. Fill each pepper with the filling mixture, leaving a little bit of room at the top as the cheese will melt and expand in the oven.
  4. Combine the panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl. Put the beaten egg in another shallow bowl alongside the crumbs.
  5. One at a time, dip each pepper first into the egg and then into the panko crumbs, making sure to evenly coat the entire pepper. Place the pepper onto a greased or parchment-lined baking pan and repeat with the remainder.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the cheese filling starts to bubble and the crumbs become golden. If the cheese starts to bubble before the twenty minutes, switch to the broiler and broil for 2-3 minutes just to make the crumbs golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment