Friday, May 30, 2014

Avocado Brownies


A week ago while we were sitting and eating my breakfast one of my brothers asked me to make black bean brownies again. Unfortunately we didn't have any black beans in the pantry and I didn't feel like going to the store just for one item. However the request inspired me to research more "healthy" brownie recipes and I found one for avocado brownies. I was intrigued because the recipe seemed relatively easy and I already had all of the ingredients.

While I was making the brownies my mother was very doubtful about how they would taste given the unusual ingredient list. I assured her that she was under no obligation to try them but in the end she decided to have a small piece. She was actually quite impressed with their taste, especially because they weren't too sweet and my mother prefers desserts that way.

My brother came over once I let him know the brownies were ready and he enjoyed them as well. After the fall out from the black bean brownies, I was hesitant to tell my other brother about the avocado and decided to just let him enjoy the brownies. Not only did he like them, but his friends came over the next day and ate them as well, no one the wiser about the mystery ingredient. To this day I still haven't told him...I decided that since he liked them and already ate them there's really no reason to go and disappoint him now.

Avocado Brownies
  • 4 oz (112 g) bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 avocado
  • ¼ cup almond butter
  • ½ cup honey
  • 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp almond flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Optional: ½ cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
  1. Puree the avocado flesh in a food processor until absolutely no lumps remain.
  2. Melt the bittersweet chocolate together with the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
  3. Beat the melted chocolate mixture along with the pureed avocado and the rest of the ingredients on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes, or until well mixed.
  4. Stir in any add-ins such as chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
  5. Pour the batter into a well-greased or parchment lined 9" x 9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  6. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment