Friday, May 23, 2014

Asian Coleslaw


The other day my mother asked me to prepare some chicken for dinner, specifically in a way that my brother would find appealing. Last week, after coming back from Mexico she had requested I make something Mexican-inspired so I made shrimp tacos. Part of the reason why they taste so good is because of the cabbage slaw that goes along with them. My mom was a big fan and asked that I repeat the slaw in addition to whatever chicken dish I made.

I decided to go Asian this time and made a peanut chicken stir-fry with some mushrooms, bell peppers, and snow peas. As a side I made quinoa and also this Asian coleslaw. It was light and refreshing and didn't take long to put together. I have a new found love of all things sesame lately so I particularly enjoyed the dressing that included sesame oil.

Making dinner that day was even more fun because my cousin came over and helped me with it. Although she refused to touch the chicken she did help me by chopping the vegetables and following the recipe to make the peanut sauce. Afterward she reaped the benefits by staying over for dinner while we watched some television together.

Asian Coleslaw
  • ½ head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
  • ½ head green cabbage, thinly sliced
  • ½ cup carrots, grated or thinly sliced
  • 1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp black and white sesame seeds
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt and Pepper
  1. In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, cucumber, green onion, and cilantro.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, ginger, and lemon juice. Allow the dressing to sit for a few minutes to come together.
  3. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well to ensure everything is evenly coated. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over top and season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment