Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Hasselback Caprese Tomatoes


Last weekend was the first time this year that my family ate dinner outside in the backyard which, to me, signifies the official beginning of summer. My dad had spent the day repairing our broken gate and my mom and I went to an Italian festival. I was inspired by the festival to create this simple appetizer which I had seen a picture of a few weeks ago on Pinterest.

The idea comes from a caprese salad but rather than completely slice the tomatoes they are cut in a "hasselback" style and the fresh Basil and Mozzarella are stuffed in between the slits. Once I started assembling the tomatoes my mom was reminded of when I made hasselback yams and sweet potatoes when I first started the blog four years ago. Unfortunately back then the potatoes did not turn out as I had expected them to but this time the tomatoes gave me no problems.

I think these hasselback caprese tomatoes are a great summer appetizer because they take advantage of fresh ingredients and are super simple to make. However despite their simplicity they give off a nice and elegant appearance and are sure to please any guests.

Hasseback Caprese Tomatoes
  • 8-10 Roma tomatoes
  • Ball of fresh Mozzarella cheese (soft, not hard)
  • Handful fresh Basil
  • Balsamic vingegar
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  1. Wash the tomatoes and cut slits into them about ¼" apart. Cut the slits almost all the way through but make sure there is still a little bit of room on the bottom so that it stays together.
  2. Roughly slice the Mozzarella cheese into pieces similarly sized to the tomato slits.
  3. Carefully slide a piece of cheese and a Basil leaf between each slit of the tomato.
  4. Drizzle the tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment