Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hazelnut Napoleons with Lemon Curd and Berries


Ever since I made baked potato skins for my brother over a year ago, he has been asking me to make some sort of dessert using hazelnuts. When thinking of dessert and hazelnuts, naturally Nutella comes to mind but I wanted to make something that didn't necessarily involve chocolate. A week ago, while sitting in a waiting room, I was flipping through a magazine and came across a recipe for hazelnut napoleons spread with lemon curd and piled high with berries. I took note of the recipe and saved it for future use.

Little did I know that an opportunity to make it would come so quickly. During my parents' dinner party over the weekend I used phyllo dough to make spanakopita. I decided that since I already had the phyllo out I might as well use a few sheets to make the napoleons as well (though at a separate time as we already had two desserts that evening).

I made the lemon curd a few days later and assembled the napoleons one night for my mom, brother, and me to share. Although they looked nice with multiple layers they were a bit challenging to eat. Also, the flavor of the lemon curd was quite strong and overpowered the hazelnut. However my brother was still satisfied with his hazelnut craving because I made a second dessert as well. When making the hazelnut-sugar mixture I ended up with way too much. I decided to use the excess by sprinkling it over some store bought dough and rolling it into mini buns (kind of like cinnamon buns but with the hazelnut-sugar inside).

On a side note, I know that typically phyllo sheets are meant to be stuck together using melted butter however for the sake of convenience I usually use PAM as it is much easier and less messy. This time, I chose to actually make the spanakopita properly, as well as the napoleons, and used melted butter between the sheets. I have to admit the butter added a wonderful rich flavor and definitely improved the taste compared to previous times. I learned my lesson: sometimes convenience is good but if you have the time and energy, don't take shortcuts.

Hazelnut Napoleons with Lemon Curd and Berries

For the lemon curd:
  • 1½ lemons, zested and juiced
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Combine the lemon zest with the sugar and mix well.
  2. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then add the lemon juice and salt.
  3. Heat the mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, or until it thickens.
  4. Whisk in the butter until completely incorporated but do not let the mixture boil. Remove from the heat, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the napoleons:
  • 4 sheets phyllo
  • ⅓ cup whole hazelnuts, skinned and toasted
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
  1. In a food processor, blend the hazelnuts until fine, being careful not to turn into a paste.
  2. Add the sugar and cinnamon and pulse a few times so as to mix everything together. 
  3. Working quickly, and with unused sheets covered under parchment/wax paper and a damp paper towel, brush the first sheet of phyllo with the melted butter and sprinkle ⅓ of the hazelnut-sugar mixture. 
  4. Repeat with the remaining layers, stacking on top of the first layer and pressing down lightly so they hold together.
  5. Cut the stack into 12 rectangles and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, or until the phyllo becomes crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the rectangles to finish cooling in the pan.
To assemble: Place a phyllo rectangle on a serving plate and spread some of the prepared lemon curd carefully over the surface, topping with some berries of your choosing. Repeat using two more phyllo rectangles to create a stacked napoleon.

No comments:

Post a Comment