Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes



When I first started this blog I had created a goal for myself to write at least three posts a month. In the recent months since graduating from university and starting work as a registered nurse I haven't been able to keep up with my blogging. In addition to the fact that I'm busy, I'm also more picky than I used to be in regards to recipes that I consider "blog worthy". That's not to say that I haven't been cooking and baking, or trying out new recipes, I'm just more aware of the time and effort it takes for me to blog about them therefore I make sure that I strongly feel I should write a post about it before I start taking lots of pictures and investing my time in the recipe.

That being said, a few weeks ago one of my very good friends was celebrating her birthday and I helped her husband organize the food for the party. Together with one of her best friends (whose name also happened to start with the letter "N") we made bite-sized party foods including many appetizers and desserts. We joked around that we could call ourselves "N & N Catering" because, apart from a few items, we pretty much made all of the food.

I made three savory items and one dessert: mini pizza bites, mushroom tartlettes with cranberries and
feta cheese, and veggie wraps. For the dessert I made full-sized cookies and cream cupcakes featuring an Oreo cookie half at the bottom of each one, in addition to Oreo bits mixed throughout the batter.

Throughout the party, and afterward too, both of us "N's" received many compliments and thanks for our food. I told everyone that I had a great time preparing everything and it was even more enjoyable knowing that I was doing it for such a good friend. Even though we met not too long ago in nursing school, I feel so close to her and that she understands me so well. I hope that this is just the beginning of a lifelong friendship and that we will have many more great memories to share together.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
Note: This recipe makes 24 standard sized cupcakes. I don't tend to like too much frosting on my cupcakes therefore I had a lot of extra and will probably make only half next time, but I have posted the full recipe below.

For the cupcakes:
For the frosting:
  1. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners (these cupcakes can't be made without liners because of the Oreo bottoms). 
  2. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up. 
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together and set aside. 
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 
  5. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract. 
  6. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. 
  7. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
  8. Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared paper liners and bake for 18-24 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Rotate the pans halfway through to ensure even baking. The cupcakes are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a little hard to judge if you accidentally poke through an Oreo chunk).  
  9. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pans before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
  10. To make the frosting: combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract. 
  11. Beat in the powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment