Friday, October 25, 2013

Chocolate Crème Brûlée


Over the weekend my parents hosted a dinner party for some friends featuring traditional Uzbek foods. Prior to immigrating to Canada, my parents grew up in Uzbekistan and many of the foods I associate with home are those Uzbek dishes such as plov (a rice pilof), manti (steamed dumplings), and shashlik (kebabs).

For the main course we served manti and shashlik but our appetizers and desserts were not Uzbeki. Because my mom decided to make meringues we had lots of egg yolks left over so I thought to make crème brûlée. Recently I had bought myself a new mini blow torch and made crème brûlée for my uncle's birthday using my previous recipe from three years ago. However this time I wanted to try something new and make chocolate crème brûlée.

Initially, my mom was quite concerned that the crème brûlée would not be smooth because the chocolate seemed to leave little grains when it melted in the hot cream. In order to alleviate her concerns I strained the mixture not once, but twice before pouring it into the ramekins. Although that may seem time consuming, the recipe is actually so easy that I really didn't mind taking that extra step.

As my mom would say, the result was "ah-mazing". The crème brûlée turned out so silky and smooth with an intense chocolate flavor. My aunt said that from now on I should stick to making the chocolate version and forget about my old one (though to be fair she is a little bit of a chocoholic). My brother, also a chocoholic, completely agreed with me. The next day, I received more compliments from my two cousins who tasted the extras I sent home with my aunt. After such rave reviews, I know I will be keeping this recipe around for a while!

Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Note: I used 4.5 oz ramekins and was able to make 13 crème brûlées, filling each ramekin almost completely to the top.
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 270 grams dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 8 tbsp sugar
  • 10 egg yolks
  1. Combine the heavy cream, milk, and vanilla in a small pot and bring to a simmer.  
  2. Reduce the heat to low. Add the chocolate and whisk briskly until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Continue to whisk and slowly pour the hot chocolatey mixture into the bowl. Make sure that you add it slowly and continuously whisk otherwise the hot cream might end up cooking the eggs.
  4. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve before pouring into the ramekins. Place the filled ramekins in a large baking dish and fill with enough hot water to reach about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
  5. Bake the crème brûlées at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes. They will be ready when the mixture is mostly set but the tops are still somewhat jiggly when tilted.
  6. Remove the ramekins from the baking dish and cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 4 hours.
  7. Once ready to serve, sprinkle some sugar on top of each custard and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the sugar on top caramelizes and turns brown. Alternatively, if you own a mini blowtorch (like I do) use it to caramelize the top layer of sprinkled sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment