Monday, February 14, 2011

Zucchini Fries


I have been wanting to make fries for quite some time, I just never seemed to get around to it. In truth, part of the reason was because I didn't actually want to fry them, I wanted to bake them. The problem with that is that the fries rarely turn out how you want them and it ends up being a disappointment. However, I put my doubts aside when I found this recipe because it was so easy I just couldn't resist trying it. I figured I really wasn't taking a risk because it required so little time to make and I already had the four ingredients required to make it.

Well, I am so glad that I gave this recipe a go! The zucchini fries tasted great! Everyone loved them and they were eaten up in a snap. Although they weren't crunchy like a fried zucchini would have been the texture of the coating gave it a different type of crunch. Also, the flavor of the bread crumbs mixed with the Parmesan cheese added to the otherwise subtle tasting zucchini. My one recommendation if making these fries is to eat them while they're hot and fresh from the oven because the zucchini tends to go limp once it cools down. Other than that, it's a great fast and easy way to make some fries and not feel guilty about eating a lot.

Zucchini Fries
Note: The original recipe calls for 1 packet of shake and bake and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan but based on my experience I found that I needed double the amount to ensure all of my zucchini had a nice coating. The recipe posted below reflects the amounts I used.
  • 1 lb (3-4) zucchini
  • 2 packets shake and bake coating mix
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 large egg
  1. Trim the ends off the zucchini and then cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 1/4" sticks. I did this by cutting once across and four times across the entire length.
  2. Whisk the egg in a medium bowl and add the zucchini. Toss to coat evenly.
  3. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a plastic bag (either the one provided or a ziploc bag) and add about 1/4 of the zucchini.
  4. Shake the bag until zucchini are evenly coated and then arrange zucchini on a pre-greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
  5. Bake zucchini for 12-14 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit or until the coating becomes golden brown. Halfway through baking, turn the tray 180 degrees to ensure even baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment