Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chocolate Truffles


Last Sunday I awoke to a wonderful breakfast prepared by my brother. He made "Eggs on a Raft", a dish consisting of a piece of bread with a hole in the middle replaced with a perfectly cooked egg, sunny side up. I loved the breakfast and was truly touched by the gesture. My brother, seeing my delight, was extremely pleased with himself and remarked at how good he felt knowing that I enjoyed his breakfast.

So, in keeping with the food giving spirit, this Valentine's Day I decided to make a nice treat for all of the members of my family with these chocolate truffles. I know that a lot of people complain about it being a Hallmark holiday, an excuse for greeting card companies to get more money. In truth, I think that it's a wonderful opportunity to show everyone, not just your special someone, that you care about them.

This past Sunday my brother discovered something that I learned ever since I began to cook and bake regularly; the joy of being able to light up someone's day with a little kindness and consideration. The gesture doesn't have to be huge, it can be something as little as a "thinking of you" e-mail or something larger like a bouquet of flowers. The point is that when you do something special for someone else, not only does it make them feel good but you feel great as well. That is why I love to share my baking and cooking with everyone around me; my food gives me an opportunity to express my love and appreciation for those around me.

Chocolate Truffles
Note: This recipe makes about 36 truffles, depending on how big you roll them. Also, be aware that the truffles melt easily in your hands while rolling, so don't over roll and wash your hands only with cold water.
  • 3/4 cup (180 mL) heavy cream
  • 2 cups (450 grams) chocolate, chopped
  • 3 tbsp butter, softened
  • Topping (nuts, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, coconut flakes, melted chocolate...anything you want)
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the cream until it just comes to a boil. 
  2. Add the chocolate chunks and remove the saucepan from the heat. Whisk or stir until all of the chocolate is melted.
  3. Stir in the butter until the mixture is uniformly smooth.
  4. Pour the ganache into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure that the plastic wrap actually covers the surface of the ganache, don't just put it over the top of the bowl.
  5. Set aside in the fridge for at least two hours or until the ganache sets.
  6. Using a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop out some ganache and roll into 1" balls. This part is tricky because the ganache is initially hard but will start to melt as soon as it's in your hands. I recommend using plastic gloves or simply a ziploc bag around your hand to mold the chocolate into a small rock and then roll it into a ball.
  7. Roll the truffles in whichever topping you desire to finish them off.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you :) They were really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NATALIE!!!! IM YOUR BRO!! HAHAHAHHA YUMMY BREAKFAST AND THE TRUFFLES WERE..... NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

    ReplyDelete