Saturday, February 19, 2011

Farmer's Market Soup


I'm calling this farmer's market soup...really it's just a soup with a bunch of vegetables and barley. Although I may not have gone to a farmer's market to get all of my ingredients, more like the local grocery store, this is the type of soup I imagine one could make out of all the fresh seasonal ingredients currently available.

I especially enjoyed the barley in the soup because it gave the soup a lovely texture and something to really chew on. I admit I may have gone a little spice crazy...I liberally sprinkled red chili pepper flakes and may have added too much...but I actually liked the extra kick. For those who just want a hearty soup without the spice skip the flakes and you're good to go.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I was using random ingredients from the fridge and pantry I don't exactly remember the proportions for everything but by now I've made enough soups that I've figured out the basic recipe. Each soup has five to six steps, depending on whether you leave the soup chunky or want it to be smooth in the end.
  1. Saute the onions and shallots (whichever you're using) for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the chopped/minced garlic and continue to saute until everything becomes fragrant, about 1 more minute.
  2. Add all of the hard chopped vegetables. This includes carrots, celery, pepper....things that are crunchy. Saute for about 5 minutes and mix it all around.
  3. Add all of the soft vegetables. This includes mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, and eggplant. At this point, also add any spices including the salt and pepper. Depending on the type of flavor you want this can include a variety of seasonings but generally I like to pair thyme with oregano and dill or cumin with coriander. If you want an extra kick, add some red chili pepper flakes (just don't go crazy like I did). Mix everything well and saute until you see the second set of vegetables start to brown and soften.
  4. Add your grain of choice. In this farmer's market soup, I used barley but you can also use lentils, split peas, or various other soup-type grains. Cover the ingredients with stock. This can be chicken stock, beef stock, vegetable stock or even water. Generally, most of my recipes call for at least 2 L of stock (6 cups). You may have to add additional liquid if it starts to boil off, but make sure the liquid always covers the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Depending on which grain you're using, the soup will have to simmer for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Usually the package will have proper cooking instructions. For example, red lentils are soft and take only half an hour. Green lentils and harder and take 45 minutes to an hour. Barley also takes about 40 minutes. If you want to add some potatoes (as I did in this farmer's market soup) cut them up into chunks and add about 10-15 minutes before you expect the grains to finish cooking.
  6. For a smooth soup, transfer to a blender and puree in batches. Afterward, return the soup to the pot to heat it through and add any additional salt and pepper.
There you have it...a basic guide to making a simple soup any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment