Sunday, February 23, 2014

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Bars


A few weeks ago I had to open a can of sweetened condensed milk for a cake I was trying to make but only used a few tablespoons within the recipe. Normally I would make dulce de leche out of the remainder but since I no longer bake it in the oven but rather use a pressure cooker to make it, that requires for the can to be unopened.

I of course did not want to let the sweetened condensed milk go to waste so I searched around for a recipe that would use it up. I stumbled upon something called "peanut butter magic bars". I don't know why exactly they were named that way and though they tasted good I wouldn't say they were "magical". They were, however, a simple recipe and I had all of the ingredients in my pantry.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Bars
  • ⅓ cup peanut butter
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter
  • 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • ⅛ tsp salt 
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips
  • ½ cup peanut butter chips (I used butterscotch chips instead)
  1. Combine the peanut butter and unsalted butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 30-45 seconds, or until all of the butter has melted. Stir until smooth.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt.
  3. Add the melted peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients along with the vanilla. Stir together until evenly combined (I found it easier to just use my hands). 
  4. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8" x 8" pan lined with parchment paper. Make sure that the crumbs are in an even layer covering the bottom of the pan completely.
  5. Pour the sweetened condensed milk in an even layer over top of the crust, using an offset spatula to carefully spread it out to the corners and sides.
  6. Sprinkle the peanut butter and chocolate chips evenly over the top.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the edges are golden and set. Cool the bars completely in the pan before removing and slicing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment