Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cauliflower "Cous Cous" with Crispy Kale Chips


As my parents are currently on vacation I have become the acting head of the household and am responsible for making sure everything is okay while they are gone. Mostly that means feeding myself and my brothers as well as keeping the house neat and tidy, with the occasional bits of laundry in between.

Normally I would love the fact that I get free reign of the kitchen for almost an entire month. However the difficulty for me is that with my parents away, I have to actively remember to scale down on how much food I cook as 40% of our family is currently not present. Also, it restricts the amount of new recipes I can try because generally I like to have a lot of opinions from my family members so that I can gauge how successful a particular dish is.

This cauliflower "cous cous" is a perfect example of the dilemma I face: I made it and enjoyed it but I am the only one that sampled it. My brother is not the biggest fan of cauliflower and my parents, though great cauliflower enthusiasts, can only offer me their reviews if I make it again once they return. However I decided that since it was easy to make and I liked how it tasted I should share it on the blog. What I liked most about it was the fact that it mimicked cous cous but was actually cauliflower chopped into fine pieces.

As for the kale chips...I have recently gotten "into" kale. I've taken some baby steps by incorporating it into some salads with lemon juice, pine nuts, and tomatoes. Since I had heard of people roasting kale to make crisp chips I decided to give it a go. My aunt, who makes kale chips frequently for my cousin, gave me simple instructions and off I went. In the end the kale turned out a little too crispy as I was busy making the cous cous and didn't take the pan out of the oven in time. Despite my poor execution the concept was good and I think I'll try it again soon, but this time I'll keep a closer eye on the oven.

Cauliflower "Cous Cous"
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1½ tsp paprika
  • Optional: ¼-½ tsp red chili flakes
  • ¼ bunch cilantro or parsley, roughly chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
For the Kale Chips:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced 
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Break the florets from the cauliflower and chop into smaller pieces. Transfer to a food processor and pulse several times until they are finely chopped and resemble cous cous. It may be easier to do so in two batches to ensure the florets can be evenly chopped.
  2. Place the dried cranberries in a small bowl and cover with warm water to plump them up. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  3. In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until translucent, then add the chopped garlic. Cook for another minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
  4. Add the chopped cauliflower, cumin, paprika, and red chili flakes (if using) and mix well to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another five minutes until the cauliflower softens.
  5. Drain the cranberries and add to the pan along with the pine nuts. Gently mix in the cilantro or parsley and adjust with salt and pepper.
  6. To make the kale chips: trim the ends off the kale and toss with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Lay the kale in an even layer on a large baking tray and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you want it. Halfway through flip the kale pieces over so that both sides crisp evenly.

1 comment:

  1. ahh I was home alone this whole week! We should have gotten together an cooked!!!

    ReplyDelete