Thursday, January 24, 2013

Asian Quinoa Slaw


For a while now my grandmother has been hinting (and by hinting I mean actively asking) to be invited over for dinner so that she could try some of my cooking. Although she has sampled much of my baking, considering I always bring some to family get-togethers, most of my extended family doesn't get the opportunity to sample my actual cooking. They hear about my soups, lasagnas, enchiladas, etc. but never really get the chance to try it since those are things that I just make and feed my immediate family.

I decided this week to finally have my grandparents over for dinner as my parents are away in Australia. The dinner was meant to be low-key but of course I always like to take on a challenge and decided to make some new dishes in addition to what I had already planned.

My grandmother had told me that my grandfather really enjoyed my roasted beet and quinoa salad when I had brought it one time to a family birthday dinner. Since I was already preparing quinoa to make the salad I decided to double the amount and use the other half in this slaw. I had come across the recipe earlier in the week and it sounded appealing, especially because I love Asian flavors.

The truth of the matter is that I made the slaw more so for my brothers and me rather than my grandparents because I didn't think they would like the Asian twist. However I was completely taken aback when they raved about the slaw and both took seconds. My brothers both liked it as well and I will definitely repeat the dish when my parents come home.

Asian Quinoa Slaw
Note: For directions on cooking quinoa see post from roasted beet and quinoa salad
  • 1½ cups cooked quinoa
  • 4 cups (about ½ head) cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2-3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Sesame seeds (for sprinkling) 
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Combine the sesame oil with about 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan and saute the chopped onions over medium heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
  2. Add the chopped garlic and ginger and saute for another minute or until fragrant.
  3. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan and mix with the onions, garlic, and ginger. 
  4. Cook and stir the cabbage for another 2-3 minutes to allow it to soften.
  5. Add the shredded carrot and cooked quinoa and stir through until everything is well mixed. 
  6. Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper. (Note: start with a small amount of each sauce and add more to taste).
  7. Sprinkle sesame seeds and the chopped cilantro over top and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment