Friday, July 6, 2012

Triple Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream


This ice cream is bad...it's bad because it tastes sooooo good. A little part of me actually wishes that I hadn't made this ice cream because now that I know how easy and delicious it was I have a feeling it will be making a repeat appearance, something my hips definitely won't agree with. But honestly I couldn't help myself...I constantly see recipes for ice cream on tastespotting.com and am always tempted by them but can never try them out because they all require an ice cream maker. Then one day I stumbled upon a recipe for a no-churn blueberry cheesecake ice cream. Like with many others, I saved the recipe on my computer to eventually try out.

Well the perfect opportunity presented itself last week after a trip to the States including a visit to Costco. Unlike the heavy cream here, capping out at 33% milk fat, the cream my mom bought in Bellingham was a whopping 40%. Pouring the cream was not like pouring any regular liquid; I literally was scooping the cream out of the measuring cup. Knowing how fatty this cream was I figured it would make an extra creamy ice cream.

My assumptions were totally true and the ice cream ended up very rich and indulgent. The cream cheese mixed in also helped to create an amazing flavor. The ice cream truly melted in my mouth and I found myself licking the bowl way too soon. I think that for the sake of my own sanity I should probably wait a little before I make another batch, as well as increase my gym outings.

Triple Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream
  • 1  1/2 cups berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc), fresh or frozen
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp corn starch
  • 6 oz (3/4 cup) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream, cold
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. In a small saucepan combine the berries and sugar and cook over medium heat until berries start to break down and release their juices. 
  2. Add the cornstarch and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes so that the mixture may thicken. Remove from the heat and put the berries in the freezer so that the mixture may cool down.
  3. Meanwhile beat the cream cheese with the brown sugar until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the cream and whip until the cream cheese mixture is evenly incorporated.
  4. Add the remaining cream and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
  5. Spread half of the whipped cream into a seal-able container. Top with half of the berry mixture. Spread the remaining whipped cream and top with the rest of the berry mixture. Use a knife to swirl the ice cream and seal the container. Freeze for at least six hours, though preferably longer, before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment