Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spicy Mac and Cheese


For the past month my friends and I have been trying to organize a game night involving dinner, board games, and some good company. Finally this week we were able to find a date that worked for the majority and had our long awaited night of fun. My contribution to the game night was a baked macaroni and cheese dish, per the request of one of my friends. I had always wanted to try making homemade mac and cheese, not just the boxed kind, and this provided a great opportunity.

Once I realized what I would be making I asked the group if they wanted it prepared classically or with some sort of a twist. Two friends replied that they would like it spicy so I went with the spicy theme and bought jalapeno pepper jack and Monterey jack cheese. I had been intending to also use cheddar cheese but once I got to the store I found that the jalapeno cheese only came in one size and it was quite large so in the interest of saving money I used more of that cheese and took out the cheddar.

Needless to say my cheese substitution definitely had an effect...the mac and cheese turned out quite spicy. The two friends who had asked for the spiciness loved it, as did I and one more friend, but two of my friends found it too spicy. The friend who had originally requested the dish said that she liked the overall creaminess and texture but had a hard time eating it because of the spice. It also didn't help matters that we were eating dinner on a hot day and the air conditioning in my friend's apartment was not too strong.

At the end of the day the dish was still well received by the majority and my friends were all thankful that I had made it. I brought the leftovers home and continued to enjoy them along with my family who also tend to like spicy foods. Though I probably won't be making it again soon since I don't eat mac and cheese often I'm glad to have at least tried it.

Spicy Mac and Cheese
Note: The spice level can be reduced by leaving out the cayenne pepper and using milder cheeses.
  • 4 cups pasta shapes
  • 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped (one small one should suffice)
  • 1/3 cup bell pepper, finely chopped (one large one should suffice)
  • 6 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
  • 8 oz (224 g) jalapeno pepper jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 oz (224 g) Monterey jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, melt a half tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and bell pepper until soft and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  3. Melt four tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once completely melted whisk in the flour and continue to cook for about two minutes or until it becomes golden and lightly foamy.
  4. Whisk in the milk until well blended and continue to cook for another five minutes or until it starts to bubble and thicken.
  5. Reduce the heat to medium and whisk in the spices. Add the cheese and whisk until it is completely melted and incorporated. 
  6. Return the drained pasta to the pot and stir in the cooked onion and pepper as well as the cheese sauce.
  7. Pour the pasta into a greased two quart casserole dish. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture over top of the pasta and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, or until the bread crumbs turn golden brown. Let the dish stand on the counter for 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment