Wednesday, March 14, 2012

White Chocolate and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


I am part of a council within my undergraduate class and we have regularly scheduled bimonthly meetings. As a person who always looks for opportunities to bake I take advantage of this by always bringing some sort of treat with me, usually in the form of cookies. Seeing as how I'm currently on an "oats" and "granola" kick I thought to make some sort of cookies using my new favorite ingredient.

Unfortunately for me, my morning lecture was cancelled but by the time I found out I had already driven to class and was about to set foot in the building. Because the announcement was posted so late, this actually happened to everyone else as well. My friend and I decided to be studious and use the time to catch up on some readings. I set out all of my things in front of me, cookie tin included, and invited my friend to help herself while we studied. Little did I know that during our study time she would help herself to six cookies! Luckily I had made a lot and there were plenty to go around during the meeting, where she managed to grab another two. She claimed that the white chocolate and cranberry were an award-winning combination and the cookies were highly addictive. At the rate she was eating them I had no choice but believe her.

White Chocolate and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Note: Makes about 45 two inch sized cookies.
  • 1/2 cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, cream the two sugars and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
  4. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour mixture until a cookie dough forms.
  5. Use a spatula or large wooden spoon to mix in the oats, white chocolate chips, and dried cranberries. It might actually be easier to mix it in by hand so that everything is evenly distributed.
  6. Roll the cookie dough into 2" sized balls and place on a greased or parchment-lined baking tray about 2" apart. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden.
  7. Cool for two minutes on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

1 comment:

  1. you will never know.May 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

    i'm going to make this!!!!! :D
    thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete