Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chinese Coconut Buns


It's no surprise that I like to bake, so when any of my friends have some sort of special occasion coming up I ask them about any favorite treats they might have so that I may make it for them. Last year one of my friends was celebrating her birthday and told me that she really enjoys honey buns, a sweet Chinese pastry. With this information I searched for "honey bun" recipes and prepared some to bring to class. Having never tried them myself I didn't actually know what a honey bun was...I just assumed they were buns soaked in honey, therefore I thought nothing wrong of the recipe I found for exactly that. However when I presented my friend with the buns I was surprised to learn that honey buns were actually supposed to be filled with a coconut filling. She still enjoyed the buns and thanked me for them, but I was disappointed that I hadn't baked the treat that she had imagined.

Fast forward almost one year and finally I was able to fulfill my friend's wish. Apparently here in Vancouver, and online in the blogosphere, the buns my friend was referring to are called coconut buns. A couple of weeks ago I randomly came across a recipe describing exactly what my friend wanted and I suggested to her that she come over to my house and we could bake them together. Last week we had the opportunity to do exactly that when she came over and made the coconut buns. I could tell she really liked them because she couldn't stop eating them and I made her promise not to consume all of them before the night was over. We had a good time together and I'm glad that she got to have her "honey buns" after all.

On a separate note, while baking the buns we decided to make only half with coconut (for her) and the other half of the dough I used to make a poppy seed roll (for my family who loves poppy seeds but not coconut). I have to say...I think I have found my new favorite sweet dough recipe. I was not extremely happy with my previous sweet dough because it tended to become quite dry, especially if the filling being used was not very moist. However this new recipe is excellent because the dough itself is quite moist and retains this quality after being baked, resulting in a fluffy bread that was especially great for the poppy seed filling. I will definitely be using this new sweet dough in the future.

Chinese Coconut Buns
Note: This recipe makes about 10-12 buns. Alternatively, the dough is enough for two sweet rolls with any desired filling.
 
For the dough:
  • 1 packet ( 2 1/4 tsp) instant yeast
  • 1/4 cup luke warm water
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
 For the coconut filling:
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 4-5 tbsp honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg yolk 
  1. To make the dough, start by dissolving the yeast in the warm water and add the teaspoon of sugar. Stir it around and let it sit for about 10 minutes to proof the yeast.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the milk, butter, eggs, and yeast mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. If using a mixer switch to the dough hook and knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, otherwise knead on a lightly floured counter.
  3. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap and a towel and store, covered, for at least an hour or until the dough doubles in a warm environment.
  4. While waiting, prepare the coconut filling by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor until it has a paste-like consistency.
  5. Once the dough is ready, divide into two. Split each half into 5-6 pieces about 3-4 ounces each.
  6. Roll each piece into a rectangle, about 3" x 5", and place 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling lengthwise down the center.
  7. Bring the long sides up over the filling and pinch the edges to seal the seams. 
  8. Place the buns, seam side down, on a greased baking tray (or lined with parchment paper) and set aside for 20 minutes to rise a little more. Afterward, lightly brush the tops with an egg wash (egg mixed with 1 tbsp of water) and sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
  9. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the buns, or until the tops are golden brown. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment