Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini with Vegetable Rice and Cheese


I actually discovered the idea of a stuffed zucchini a while ago, back in the summer, but never got around to making it until just now. While shopping at the grocery store I saw these huge zucchini and knew they would be perfect for stuffing because they provided a good portion size. Making these stuffed zucchini also provided me with a great opportunity to use up a lot of miscellaneous pantry ingredients that we had lying around. The beauty of this recipe is that you can put virtually anything you want in the stuffing and then just bake it.

Originally I was going to create something similar to my orzo stuffed peppers but then I decided to use rice instead of orzo. I rarely cook rice and the few times that I have made it I always used the stove. This time, however, I wanted to try using our rice cooker. My brother informed me that "rice expands thrice" as he was taught in his foods class. Well, I don't know if I prepared my rice incorrectly or whether he was mistaught, but my rice barely expanded twice. To make up for my little amount of rice I compensated by adding more vegetables to the stuffing, which no one seemed to mind.

In the end, the stuffing was quite delicious and I think that in the future I might make it as its own separate dish, without going through the extra step of scraping out the zucchini, stuffing, and baking it. Still, the zucchini provided a nice presentation and was already pre-portioned. If I do repeat the process with the zucchini, I think I might also season it a little with some spices, along with salt and pepper, before baking it to give another layer of flavor.

Stuffed Zucchini with Vegetable Rice and Cheese
Note: These are the vegetables I used because this is what I had on hand. Other good additions or substitutes include peas, peppers, beans, etc.
  • 3 large zucchini
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 1 1/2-2 cups water
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped
  • 1 8 oz (227 mL) can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
  • 1 12 oz (341 mL) can whole kernel corn
  • 1 cup grated cheese + some extra for sprinkling on top
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil
  • Optional: 1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  1. Start by cooking the rice as it will take the longest. If using a rice cooker, simply rinse the rice with cold water until the water turns clear then put into rice maker and cover with water. I'm not an expert on the water to rice ratio, but generally it is recommended to use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water for each cup of rice, depending on how sticky you like it (the more water, the stickier the rice). If using the stove, bring the rice and water to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 25-30 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all of the water.
  2. Wash the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise, making sure to cut the ends off as well.
  3. Using a large spoon, scrape out the insides of the zucchini and set aside. Place the zucchini on a baking pan and brush with some olive oil. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and add any other spices you wish.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
  5. As the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the stuffing by chopping the zucchini flesh and sauteing with the chopped onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally and season with salt and pepper.
  6. Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are soft.
  7. Once the rice is cooked, add it to the vegetables and mix it around. Add the grated cheese and mix thoroughly. If you want, add a little Worcestershire sauce as well for a little extra flavor. 
  8. Stuff the zucchinis with the vegetable rice mixture and sprinkle some extra cheese over top. Return to the oven and bake at the same temperature (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment