Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Southwest Style Spring Rolls


Phyllo dough is really great. I know that its picky to work with, and you definitely have to work quickly, but overall I think its benefits outweigh the negatives. First of all, there are a variety of things you can make with phyllo. You can roll it, fold it, layer it...really the possibilities are endless. Also, because the phyllo sheets have no flavor you can pair them with anything you like, sweet or savory. Lastly, the sophisticated look of the phyllo makes for great appetizers and desserts.

I had been wanting to make some sort of "roll" out of the phyllo we had sitting in our freezer for quite sometime. I decided to take one of my salad recipes and turn it into a filling. The result was delicious and required less effort than I had anticipated. Once I got the rolling technique down, it was smooth sailing and I managed to make all of the spring rolls within half an hour...picture time included.

Unfortunately, the one hang up with phyllo is the speed it requires. As soon as phyllo sheets are exposed to the air they start to dry out and tear rather than retain their flexibility. In order to avoid the tearing and to speed up the process, I spray my phyllo sheets with PAM rather than brush on melted butter. I'm sure the melted butter makes the phyllo flakier, but frankly I don't have the patience to work with it and my waistline is also more satisfied with the PAM. After such a pleasant experience with the phyllo I'm sure that I'm going to start using it more.

Southwest Style Spring Rolls
Note: I didn't measure out exact quantities of all the spices, they can be adjusted to taste. My filling was enough for 14 large spring rolls, but the rolls could also be made in a smaller size if the phyllo is cut appropriately. 
  • 1 package phyllo dough, thawed
  • 1 14 oz. (398 mL) can corn kernels
  • 1 19 oz. (540 mL) can black beans
  • 1 large bell pepper (preferably red), chopped finely
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro 
  • 2-3 tbsp cumin 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Combine all of the ingredients except for the dough in a large bowl. Adjust the spices to your taste (I personally love cumin so I put a lot). 
  2. Cover the filling and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. I would recommend leaving it in the fridge for as long as possible because the longer it sits, the more the flavor seeps into the filling.
  3. Using two sheets at a time, spray the bottom phyllo sheet with PAM and then lay second sheet on top. Keep remaining sheets covered with wax or parchment paper and a damp (but not dripping) paper towel on top. 
  4. To make large spring rolls, cut the two glued phyllo sheets in half lengthwise and place filling near the bottom but not too close to the sides. Make sure to leave enough dough exposed on the bottom to cover the filling. For the smaller spring rolls, cut the dough into thirds.
  5. Fold in the bottom flap and then the sides. Spray the exposed dough with PAM and then roll from the bottom up, making sure to keep the sides tucked in. 
  6. Place the rolls, seam side down, on a baking tray and spray the tops with PAM; this will help it brown in the oven.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until the phyllo turns a golden brown. 
I suggest eating the spring rolls fresh out of the oven, while they're nice and crispy, alongside some salsa or guacamole as a dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment