Thursday, December 2, 2010

Moussaka


I first tried making this recipe quite a while ago, back in September. I had found the recipe online and it was titled "Speedy Moussaka". Honestly, I didn't seem very speedy to me; it had many ingredients and it required frying and then additional baking. However after reading through other moussaka recipes, and now making it for the third time, I have come to realize that this recipe actually stays true to its name. It may not be speedy in terms of an average dinner, but it's definitely speedy for a moussaka.

The first time I made the dish, I took the time to draw out a picture for myself of how to properly layer it. Of course, in the heat of things, I misinterpreted my picture and ended up with the layers in the wrong order. To cover my mistake, I made a second batch of everything and then added it on top. It ended up being a double-layered moussaka. I suppose this is where the "speedy" comes in...I was able to make a second portion quite quickly once I had gotten my bearings the first time.

Everyone liked the moussaka and no one paid any attention to the order of the layers. My mom, a moussaka lover, was surprised to learn that it was cinnamon that gave the dish its particular taste. The next time my mom and I made the dish together, we followed the recipe with the proper layering. Oddly enough, the family agreed that they liked the first version better and that the second was not filling enough.

We have now made this moussaka three times, and have made the recipe to our liking. We doubled everything in the recipe, except for the meat which was tripled. The end result is delicious! The one thing we have yet to figure out is how to make the texture as silky as it should be, but I promise I'll post the details once I figure them out.

Moussaka
  • 3 medium eggplants
  • 3 lbs ground beef, lamb, or turkey
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 15 oz (500 g) container ricotta cheese
  • 12 oz (350 g) feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup Greek style yogurt (plain yogurt works fine)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil
  1. Cut the eggplants crosswise into 1 cm thick slices. Mix about 3 tbsp olive oil with 1/4 tsp salt and brush the mixture onto both sides of the eggplant slices. 
  2. Arrange the eggplants in a single layer onto a baking dish and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12-15 minutes, or until tender. You want to make sure the eggplant are soft when you take them out of the oven, that way they will absorb the flavor of the meat once you arrange the layers.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Crumble the meat into the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until it is no longer pink. 
  4. Transfer the meat to a bowl using a slotted spatula, draining as much fat as possible back into the skillet. Remove and discard all but 1 tbsp of fat from the skillet.
  5. Heat the skillet on medium heat and add the chopped onions. Cook until golden and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
  6. Add the cooked meat, red wine, tomato paste, cinnamon, and oregano to the skillet and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the mixture for about 5-7 minutes, until almost all of the wine has evaporated.
  7. In a separate bowl, mix the feta cheese together with the ricotta and parsley. Set aside about 1 cup and add the yogurt to it.
  8. In a large baking dish, arrange the layers as following (From bottom to top):
  • Eggplant
  • Meat
  • Ricotta mixture (without yogurt)
  • Eggplant
  • Meat
  • Ricotta mixture (without yogurt)
  • Eggplant
  • Ricotta mixture (with yogurt)
   
   9.  Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment