Thursday, December 23, 2010

Frozen Chocolate Souffle


Recently my dad brought home a magazine from the liquor store featuring many delicious recipes. Each recipe was meant to be paired with a wine but I didn't look too heavily at that part. Instead, I flipped my way through the magazine until I found this easy to make frozen chocolate souffle. Souffles, in general, are pretty finicky and difficult to make. You have to time the baking just right so that your souffle doesn't fall as soon as you take it out of the oven. Since, I have no time and patience for such tedious monitoring of my baking, this no-bake souffle appealed to me. For those who are curious, this souffle is meant to be paired with either Tia Maria, a sweet Jamaican rum-based coffee liqueur, or with Fonseca Bin 27 Premium Reserve Port, a rich chocolatey wine.

I must be truthful and admit I have no idea how this souffle was actually supposed to turn out. I didn't know what texture to look for or even what consistency it should have after mixing. In the end, the finished product reminded me of ice cream though not as fluffy. My mother and brother especially loved it because it had quite a strong coffee taste mixed with the chocolate. They are both coffee and chocolate fanatics so obviously a dessert that combines both flavors is ideal for them. I deviated slightly from the recipe, using freshly made espresso instead of dissolving instant espresso granules in the hot cream, which could have accounted for the extra coffee flavor. Since there were no complaints I guess the coffee flavor was a hit, though I personally wouldn't have minded less of it.

Frozen Chocolate Souffle
Note: This recipe calls for making the souffles in 6 espresso cups. I used fairly large cups and in the end I inverted the souffle onto a plate. The souffles can also be served in the cup, though I liked my presentation on the plate.
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup espresso (recipe called for 2 tbsp of instant coffee)
  • 8 oz (250 g) semi-sweet chocolate (70%), coarsely chopped
  • 3 large eggs
  • 4 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
  1. If using instant coffee, place milk, cream, and coffee in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and whisk until coffee crystals dissolve. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. If using ready espresso, simply mix with milk and cream and set aside.
  2. Using a double broiler, beat the eggs yolks into the coffee mixture until it slightly thickens.
  3. Gradually add half of the chopped chocolate, stirring as it melts into the hot cream. Afterward, put the saucepan into an ice water bath to cool down the mixture completely.
  4. While the mixture cools, add the salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff. Gradually add the sugar while beating until stiff peaks form.
  5. Fold the egg whites carefully into the cooled chocolate mixture.
  6. Pour the mixture into each cup until it reaches the top. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for at least 4 hours.
  7. Once ready to serve, run a knife around the edges of the souffle and then invert onto a plate. Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle onto the frozen souffles. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts while the chocolate sauce is still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment