Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mushroom and Onion Goat Cheese Galette


I have been making my fruit galette quite often now as it always seems to be a great dessert for the summertime. The ease of making a galette and the idea that almost anything can be used as a filling inspired me to branch out into savory galettes as well.

Looking through my fridge, I saw that we had a goat cheese log and was immediately inspired to use it in my filling. As for the dough, I can proudly say that I came up with the recipe on my own, based on previous attempts and also some online research. Finally, the mushroom filling was inspired by my mom who helped me make it and taught me a few tips and tricks along the way.

After the success of this galette, I will definitely start thinking of more savory fillings I can make and variations to the dough as well. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as cheesy as I thought it would so maybe next time I'll add more Parmesan or even use some other cheese.  

Mushroom and Onion Goat Cheese Galette

For the dough:
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese + 1 tbsp
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2-3 tbsp water
  • 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
  1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse a couple of times. 
  2. Add the cold chunks of butter and pulse until the butter is cut into the flour mixture in small walnut sized pieces. If you don't have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour.
  3. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the sour cream and lemon juice.
  4. Mix until a dough starts to form, using water one tablespoon at a time as needed.
  5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
For the filling:
  • 5 oz. goat cheese (I used half of a goat cheese log from Costco)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8-10 large mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Pour enough olive oil to cover the surface of a large skillet and heat on high. Once the oil is warmed up, pour in the diced onion and saute until it reaches a golden brown color, stirring occasionally. 
  2. Once caramelized, add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are also golden, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. Add the walnuts to the pan and mix them in. Remove from the heat and cool the filling.
To make the galette:
  1. Roll out the dough into about a 9-10" circle. 
  2. In a bowl, combine the goat cheese and minced garlic and then spread the mixture over the rolled out dough, leaving about a 2" border all around.
  3. Pile the filling on top of the goat cheese. Make sure the filling is cool otherwise it will melt the dough.
  4. Fold the uncovered border over the edge of the filling and pinch into pleats.
  5. Add a little water to the egg yolk to create an egg wash and brush onto the crust. Sprinkle the crust and filling with the remaining tablespoon of Parmasan.
  6. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment