Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Saffron Risotto with Butternut Squash


Wow I can't believe I haven't written a post since November. Actually, scratch that...I can. The truth is in the past few months I have been very busy. I secured a full-time, regular position at work and I bought an apartment. My life has been overwhelmed with changes, luckily all positive, but it's taken a toll on my blog.

When I first started this blog, almost five years ago, I had the goal of teaching myself how to become a better cook. By researching different recipes and trying many new techniques I learned so much. And truthfully, having the blog motivated me to keep going. However, now I have come to the point where I don't feel tempted to write a post after every single venture in the kitchen. Beyond the fact that I often repeat past recipes, I also find myself more and more just cooking on a whim without following any specific recipe. But when I think about it, I don't regret this. The blog served its ultimate purpose, which was to broaden my food horizons and take me out of my comfort zone in the kitchen. Now it serves a new purpose to act as my digital cookbook of sorts, allowing me to keep track of recipes that I truly loved and would want to repeat in the future.

I am very thankful to my small community of loyal followers (AKA close friends and family) who encouraged me to keep up with the blog and provided feedback on the food I made. There were plenty of times when I felt they were just as invested as I was in the success of my food adventures. I hope they enjoyed reading the blog as much as I loved writing it and I promise I will keep feeding them even if I'm not writing blog posts.

Now that I've confessed and owned up to my hibernation from the blog...I actually do have a recipe to share! A few months ago, back when it was still cold and chilly outside, I came up with the idea that I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful and delicious squash that was in season. When I traveled to Italy years ago, I brought back a little jar of saffron threads which I still had not used. I decided to make a creamy, aromatic saffron risotto and add some roasted butternut squash to it.

My first attempt at this did not turn out exactly as I had imagined. When I searched online for a saffron risotto recipe, I found one with many positive reviews so I decided to use it and add my own twist with the butternut squash. According to the directions, I was supposed to add a pinch of saffron threads to the chicken stock before slowly stirring it into the rice. The problem is that "a pinch" is not very specific and I guess my pinch was too small because the finished risotto did not have that bright yellow color typical of a saffron-infused food. Also the flavor of the butternut squash overtook the saffron.

Even though the risotto end up the way I wanted it to, it was still very creamy and was eaten up quickly by the family. I still had extra chicken stock left over so when I suggested making it again everyone was in favor. This time, I "pinched" a lot more...between ¼-½ teaspoon. The result was more in line with my expectations; a bright yellow risotto with the aroma of the saffron and the hint of sweetness from the butternut squash. Success!

Saffron Risotto with Butternut Squash
  • 1 lb butternut squash, cut into pieces
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • ¼-½ tsp saffron threads
  • 4-5 cups chicken stock, kept warm
  • 1½ cups dry white wine
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese  
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously on the butternut squash pieces and coat in olive oil. 
  2. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, or until the pieces are fork tender. Stir them around halfway through to ensure even baking. Once tender, remove from the oven and set aside.
  3. Use a large pan to heat some olive oil over medium heat and saute the chopped onions for 3-5 minutes, or until they start to become translucent.
  4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the rice. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the rice becomes slightly toasted.
  5. Meanwhile, add the saffron threads to a small pot with the chicken stock in it. The stock should turn bright yellow. Keep the liquid constantly warm by having it on a burner with low heat. 
  6. Add the wine to the pan with the rice until it is completely covering the surface. Season with some salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until the wine has been absorbed. 
  7. Slowly add the saffron chicken stock to the pan until it covers the rice. Keep stirring and cooking until the stock has been absorbed, just like the wine. 
  8. Repeat the process with the stock until only about a cup remains. Once the rice is creamy, bite into a few grains to be sure the rice is cooked. If still slightly crunchy, add a little more stock and continue to cook until it is absorbed. 
  9. When the rice is done cooking, add the butter and grated Parmesan cheese then whip together until completely incorporated. To finish, stir in the pieces of roasted butternut squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment