Friday, July 18, 2014

Red Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing


In addition to making the grilled chicken kabobs for dinner the other  night, I also made a quinoa salad which I served in the shell of the pineapple. This was actually my first time using red quinoa as opposed to the regular white or yellow looking quinoa.

There are actually three types of quinoa: regular, red, and black. I was curious about the difference between the three and supposedly the red and  black varieties have "nuttier" flavor as opposed to the regular one.  According to some sources, it is best to use the red and black quinoa for things like a salad or any dish that you would want the grains to remain as  individual pieces. However in dishes where the quinoa is used as more of a stuffing medium, such as stuffed peppers or even patties made of quinoa, it is better to use regular quinoa as it clumps together more.

I have to admit I don't think I tasted any stronger flavor from the red quinoa but it definitely made for an interesting appearance to the salad. Maybe next time I will try the black quinoa and see whether I notice any different taste to it.

Red Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
  • 3 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 cups shelled edamame beans
  • 2 cups corn kernels
  • 1 cup baby tomatoes, quartered or halved
  • 1 cup mini bocaccini, quartered
  • ¼-½ bunch fresh cilantro (I used ½ cilantro, ½ Italian parsley combination)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil
  • Optional: 1-2 tbsp hot sauce
  1. In a food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic cloves, lime juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and hot sauce if using. Blend until smooth and the dressing comes together.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the quinoa, edamame, corn, tomatoes, and bocaccini.
  3. Pour the dressing over top and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours in order to chill the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment