Monday, December 30, 2013

Cinnamon Dolce Latte Cupcakes


I've been on a bit of a coffee fix with my baking lately: first with my mocha cucakes with espresso buttercream for my work Christmas party and then a caramel latte cheesecake for my aunt and uncle's silver wedding anniversary. I can't explain why I am so suddenly drawn to this flavor but somehow I am very tempted to bake many coffee treats this holiday season.

On Christmas day my brother and I made plans to go with some friends to see the new Disney movie currently in theaters however by the time we arrived it was sold out. Instead we came back to our house and we played board games. I thought it would be fun to bake as well so I suggested we make cupcakes. Of course I had ulterior motives as my friend has just gifted me a cupcake stand and I really wanted to use it.

I decided to remake one of the two cupcake recipes that I had used for my work Christmas party because the first time I made it the frosting didn't quite turn out. Rather than takes my chances again I used the same cake recipe but the frosting from the mocha cupcakes. While the cupcakes baked we played a fun game and then once they cooled down I frosted them.

Excitedly I beautifully placed the cupcakes on my new stand and took them into the living room where I do most of my food photography. Unfortunately I leaned over the table the wrong way and one of the legs gave out, sending the whole thing crashing to the floor. Luckily the glass table did not shatter and nothing happened to the camera or the floor.

Even though we managed to salvage the cupcakes themselves, most of the frosting ended up on the floor and had to be thrown away. There was enough left that we were able to redistribute it, though not as beautifully. I was still able to get a nice picture before they fell and they still tasted great so I guess it was a success, though now I have to figure out how to fix the table.

Cinnamon Dolce Latte Cupcakes:
Note: This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. Also, I used the frosting from my mocha cupcakes. The recipe can be found here.
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ cup (8 tbsp) browned butter, cooled
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ¼ cup milk
  • ¼ cup brewed coffee, cooled
  1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly as it continues to cook and foam. After a few minutes, it will begin to turn a rich brown and smell nutty. Remove from heat immediately and let cool before using in the cupcakes.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl combine the milk and coffee. Set aside.
  4. Beat the browned butter with both sugars until well incorporated. 
  5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated, then beat in the vanilla.
  6. Using the lowest speed setting, alternatively beat in the dry ingredients and milk/coffee mixture starting and ending with the dry ingredients.(There should be three dry additions and two wet.) 
  7. Distribute the batter evenly amongst a well-greased or paper-lined 12 cup muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. Frost the cupcakes once they have cooled completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment