Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chocolate and Jam Twists


I found this recipe about a month ago but I was waiting until my brother came home from his month-long trip to Israel in order to make it. He is the biggest consumer of baked goods in our household and it didn't feel right baking something without him being present to sample it.

Of course after waiting for so long to make it, I kind of had high expectations. I was a little disappointed when my twists did not turn out as beautiful as the picture from the original recipe so I sprinkled some powdered sugar over them. However when I shared this detail with my mother she disagreed and said they looked nice on their own as well.

Later when I showed her the picture online, she helped me to discover that I had actually misread the recipe and combined the chocolate and jam in each twist, rather than make two separate flavors. This accounted for the extra thickness in the filling and the difficulty I experienced when twisting each strip of dough. But I think it actually turned out for the better in terms of flavor because I actually enjoyed the combination of chocolate and fruity jam in each bite. Therefore I think that if I make these twists again I will still make them the "wrong way" because I liked how it tasted.

Chocolate and Jam Twists
Note: I used chocolate ganache for the filling because I had it leftover from something else however the original recipe calls for using nutella and peanut butter. Also, the original recipe used only one filling and single layers of dough....I used two fillings and double layers.
  • 1 package puff pastry, thawed
  • Jam (any flavor)
  • Chocolate ganache (recipe here)
  • Optional: Powdered sugar for dusting
  1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one block of the puff pastry dough to about 2 millimeter thickness.
  2. Cut the rolled dough in half horizontally. Spread jam on one half and the chocolate ganache on the other.
  3. Carefully place one half over the other, making sure the pieces match up as closely as possible and the filling is sandwiched in between. 
  4. Cut the dough vertically into strips about 1" wide. Carefully twist each strip and pinch the ends together. 
  5. Place the twisted strips onto a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave some space between the strips as they will slightly unravel and puff outward in the oven.
  6. Repeat with the other block of dough and filling.
  7. Bake the twists for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool and harden on the tray before transferring. Optional: sprinkle with some powdered sugar once cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment