Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Cookies


Last week was the first week of school and I officially went to my last first day of undergraduate classes. I can't believe that in eight months I will have graduated from university and be on my way to working as a nurse! In the midst of all the first week excitement our nursing undergrad society had our first meeting since going on break. Obviously I did not pass up on the opportunity to bring a yummy treat and decided to bake these chocolate fudge oatmeal cookies.

Needless to say my mother and brother were disappointed when they learned the cookies were not for them, though I did save a few and gave them some. The cookies were extremely chocolatey as one would imagine with almost a cup of cocoa powder. Although highly sticky and hard to handle I think the end result was worth it. I'll probably make them again soon, no doubt for one of the upcoming bake sales I have agreed to participate in.

Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Cookies
Note: This recipe makes about 40 small 2" cookies.
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¾ cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 4 egg whites
  1. In a large bowl combine the oats, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl combine the vanilla, olive oil, and egg whites.
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well to combine. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 30 minutes, though longer is better, to make it easier to handle.
  4. Plop mounds of dough onto a baking tray covered with parchment paper. The cookies should be about 2" in size and you can use your hands to flatten them out. The cookies will not spread so don't worry about spacing them too far apart.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are crisp and the centers look set. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the tray before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling. The cookies will continue to harden on the tray and as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment