Friday, August 24, 2012

Thai Chicken Pizza


Ever since I returned from my cooking vacation in Italy my brother has been begging me to make something that I learned. Last night I finally fulfilled his request by making two different pizzas.  Since my family loves Thai food I made one Thai chicken pizza and the other I made with BBQ sauce because that's my brother's favorite.

During my cooking vacation we would have daily cooking lessons from a professional culinary trained chef named Dino. We spent the week making various things, many of which I hope to make again in the near future, and finished off with a pizza party on the last day. Although I have made pizza before, like the roasted vegetable and goat cheese pizza I made right before my trip to Peru last summer, I picked up some new tricks and tips in Italy.

According to chef Dino it is best to use a plastic or glass bowl when mixing the dough. I don't remember the reason he gave for not using metal but it had something to do with the yeast not liking the metal and the dough not properly rising. Also, after kneading the dough we "stressed" the yeast by banging the dough on the table a few times. It was rather fun when we did it and definitely added to the party atmosphere. His last piece of advice was to leave the dough to rise for an ample period of time, not just an hour or two but several hours.

Since I wasn't in a rush I decided that I would use all of chef Dino's suggestions and take the time to make my dough by hand, without my Kitchen Aid. I don't know whether it was because I followed his instructions or because yesterday was nice and warm...but whatever the reason my dough turned out amazing! I left it out on the counter for about eight hours and when I returned it had risen above the top of the bowl and kind of bubbled over, creating somewhat of a mushroom effect. Once baked the crust was crispy on the bottom, thanks to my pizza stone, yet airy inside. It was perfect and I was so proud to show it off to my family!

As for the flavor of the pizza the Thai chicken was a big hit. I found a recipe online for a peanut sauce and used it in place of a traditional tomato sauce. At first when I whipped up the sauce it was super salty and I got a little freaked out. I continued to tweak it by adding some more ingredients and then I achieved the perfect peanut flavor I was looking for. Coupled with some carrots, bell peppers, and cilantro the overall effect was definitely Thai. Considering my success with both the pizza dough and sauce I think that this pizza will be making a repeat showing sometime soon.

Thai Chicken Pizza

For the pizza dough:
Note: This makes enough dough for two 12" or four 6" pizzas.
  • 700 mL warm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 4 cups (2 lbs) flour
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ tbsp salt
  • ¼ tsp sugar
  1. Combine the water, yeast and half the flour in a large bowl. Mix together and add the oil, salt, and sugar.
  2. Work the ingredients until a dough starts to form and keep adding the last half of the flour gradually. You may find that you need more or less than the four cups so add just enough until the dough holds its shape.
  3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it for about five minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Take the dough and bang it on the counter a few times, kneading it in between, to "stress" it.
  4. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled plastic or glass bowl and cover with a towel. Allow it to rest for several hours or until is has doubled in size.
For the peanut sauce:
Note: This recipe reflects the adaptations I made and makes more than enough sauce for one pizza. It can also be used as a dipping sauce or stir-fry sauce.
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2¼ tsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
  • ¼ tsp chili garlic sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

For the assembly:
  • Pizza dough
  • Peanut sauce
  • 1 carrot, cut into match sticks
  • ½ bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 1 cup cooked chicken
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • ¼-½ cup cilantro, chopped
  1. If using a pizza stone, put it in the oven and allow it to preheat with the oven at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes before transferring the pizza to it.  
  2. Punch down the dough and then separate into two equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth, round ball and allow it to sit on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes (this will make it easier to roll/stretch).
  3. Proceed to roll/stretch out the dough until it is of the desired size then brush the edges with olive oil.
  4. Top with the peanut sauce, then chicken, then vegetables, and finish with the cheese.
  5. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake at 500 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling. If not using a pizza stone the baking time may be greater, around 18-20 minutes. Once out of the oven top the pizza with the chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment