Monday, June 25, 2012

Baked Potato Skins


Many months ago my brother, cousins, and I went to lunch at a local chain and ordered some potato skins as an appetizer. My brother went crazy over the potato skins and has been begging me ever since to make them. I finally got around to it last Saturday when my friend came over and I made them in addition to shrimp tacos...a strange combination, yes, but I had promised each of them those dishes so we ate it all together.

The concept of the potato skins is actually quite simple; you bake the potatoes, remove the insides, crisp the skins in the oven, then fill them with whatever you like. Despite their ease, I recognized that my potato skins could have turned out better. I chose to make mine barbeque flavored but I didn't use enough sauce to coat the skins, resulting in my brother adding additional sauce to the top of his. Also, I think I should have kept them in the oven under the broiler a little longer because they weren't quite as crispy as I would have liked. Still, my brother said they were top notch and I was glad to have finally fulfilled his longstanding request. His next request: make something with hazelnuts.

Baked Potato Skins
  • 5 russet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
  • 3/4-1 lb ground beef (depends on size of potatoes)
  • Shredded cheese
  • 1 green onion, chopped (green part only)
  • Barbeque sauce
  • Sour cream
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork and then place on a rack and bake for about 50-60 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or until they can be easily slit with a knife.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the ground beef on high heat in a large skillet for 6-8 minutes or until no more pink is visible. Set aside.
  3. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly before slicing in half lengthwise and removing the insides. Leave about 1/4" ring along the bottom and sides.
  4. Rub both sides of the potato skins with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Place the potatoes, skin side up, on a baking sheet and return to the oven with the broiler on for 2 minutes. Flip them over and broil the other side for 2 minutes as well. Watch the skins carefully so that they don't burn. If they aren't crispy enough, broil each side for an additional minute.
  5. Remove the potato skins from the oven and brush the insides with the barbeque sauce. Distribute the beef filling evenly amongst them and top with some shredded cheese. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes under the broiler, or until the cheese on top is melted. 
  6. Garnish with sour cream and green onions.

1 comment: