Monday, May 28, 2012

Eggs in Potato Nests


A month ago my cousin emailed my aunt and me this recipe for cute little potato nests baked in a muffin tin and then filled with eggs. I don't know how he came across the recipe considering that most of his internet browsing has to do with sports or politics but I guess I will be left to wonder. When he sent the email my aunt and I thought it would be fun for me to sleepover at their house one evening and then have the little nests for breakfast the next morning. Last Saturday my parents left for a vacation and so my brother and I spent the evening at my aunt and uncle's house and enjoyed brunch all together the following morning.

The idea of baking eggs in an edible shell was not new to me...in fact I have tried it once before a long time ago. In my previous attempt the recipe called for thinly slicing the potatoes and then layering them in the muffin tin to create a little cup. Unfortunately the little cups did not hold up when it came time to scooping them out of the muffin tin. This recipe called for grating a mix of regular and sweet potatoes and pressing the mixture along the bottom and sides of the muffin tin. Even though the potato nests did come out of the muffin cups, there was still some left in each well despite having sprayed the pan with Pam.

Ultimately, although a fun idea, I think that I will stick to making stuffed breakfast tomatoes in the future if I'm looking for an edible vessel for the eggs. The tomatoes are less fussy and involve fewer steps and I like the extra juice and flavor they provide to the egg. Because these potato nests didn't have that additional flavor component I suggested to my aunt that we make a vegetable hash that could be spooned on top or to the side of the eggs.

In addition to making the eggs, we also made lemon ricotta pancakes and paired it with a cranberry compote. My aunt also baked some puff pastry and topped it with shredded cheese and my uncle cut up some fresh strawberries. It was quite the breakfast spread and we had to extend the table to fit it all. Everyone really loved the entire breakfast and it was great to spend the night with my cousins, something I haven't done in a very long time.

Eggs in Potato Nests
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 onion or 1 shallot, minced
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Grate the potatoes and mix together. Sprinkle with the salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Gather the potatoes in a bundle of paper towels and wring dry to remove excess liquid.
  2. Add the onion and garlic to the potato mixture and season lightly with some salt and pepper. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of the potato mixture to each cup of a well-greased muffin tin. Press the mixture firmly along the bottom and sides to create the nests.
  3. Bake the nests for 13-15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or until they have become a little crispy and can hold their shape.
  4. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle some shredded cheese into each cup. Crack an egg into each cup as well and then season again with a little salt and pepper.
  5. Return to the oven at a reduced temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the whites have set. Keep a close eye on them otherwise the yolks will harden if kept in the oven too long.
  6. Allow the eggs to cool for a few minutes in the tray before gently spooning the nests out of the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment