Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Banana Pancakes


For me, exam time means baking time. The more I have to study, the more I am inclined to bake. Just last week I finished all of my exams and then took a well-deserved ski trip to Whistler with a friend. However in the week before, while studying for my four exams in four days, I managed to bake goat cheese brownies, blueberry banana muffins, and cranberry-orange cream cheese bars. In fact, as soon as I made the muffins I had the urge to go bake the bars and begged my mom to allow me to do so. The funny thing is that she didn't even argue back, saying to me "I'll spend more time trying to talk you out of it than it will take you to make it". In the end, I paced myself by baking the bars the next day and bringing the brownies over to my cousin's house and the muffins with me to my exam. It seemed to me like the perfect solution because this way there weren't too many baked goods lying around the house and I got to treat my friends and family.

One of the things I made before the muffins and bars were these banana pancakes. Since I've been on somewhat of a pancake streak lately I have found them fun to make on a weekend morning for breakfast, especially considering that my brother is a big fan. I made these pancakes once before during the summer, but that was when my flipping skills were still undeveloped and the pancakes all looked funky. Sure, they tasted good, but nothing I could take a picture of and then blog about. Luckily this time was different; the pancakes tasted just as good as the first time and resembled proper pancakes too.

Banana Pancakes
Makes about 15-18 palm sized pancakes.
  • 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 small ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the banana, eggs, and vanilla.
  3. Add the melted butter and banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix gently just until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
  4. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, reduce the temperature to medium low and pour 1/3 cup of batter onto the cooking surface. Allow the pancake to cook until bubbles start to form on the top surface, about 15-20 seconds, then use a large spatula to gently flip the pancake over. Cook the other side until it is light and golden and fully cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
Note: Feel free to add mix-ins to the pancakes such as nuts, chocolate chips, blueberries, etc. You may have to go through a couple of "test" pancakes before you achieve the right temperature on the griddle or skillet. Finished pancakes can be kept warm in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit while the rest are cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment