Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lemon and Green Vegetable Risotto


Although I have made many recipes by now that require the use of chicken stock I must admit that I have never actually prepared it on my own...until today. When I first started cooking, I would buy cartons of chicken stock or occasionally dissolve a bouillon cube in hot water. Then last winter, while on my soup-making spree, my parents were making chicken stock on a weekly basis for my grandfather. Therefore, whenever I needed it for one of my soups it was always on hand in the fridge. I knew that at some point I would have to make it on my own but somehow the opportunity hadn't present itself.

Well today the opportunity finally came because I decided to make risotto and I needed some sort of stock, be it chicken or vegetable. Luckily, after watching my parents make chicken stock on a weekly basis all winter long, I knew the basic idea and all I had to do was call up my mom and confirm all of the steps before I started. The more traditional method involves boiling hot water in a large pot with chicken, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, and some black peppercorns. However in my house we use a pressure cooker because it delivers the same results, but much faster. Also, we add a seasoning mix called Vegeta at the very end to give it a little extra flavor.

I followed my mom's directions and the stock came together within 45 minutes. I was so surprised at my silly fears prior to making it considering how easy and seamless the whole process was. Once I had the chicken stock I proceeded to make the risotto, carefully adding one cup at a time and stirring it very frequently. The result was a delicious and creamy risotto with a nice acidic balance provided by the lemon. It was especially pleasant to eat outside in our backyard because the bright yellow of the corn and green of the zucchini were vibrant in the sunlight.

Lemon and Green Vegetable Risotto
Note: I used zucchini in the risotto because that's what I had on hand. Other options include asparagus, edamame beans, or any other green vegetable of your choosing.
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable stock, warmed
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 12 oz (341 mL) can whole corn kernels
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Heat the butter over medium heat then add the onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes or until transparent.
  2. Add the rice and stir through so it is evenly coasted with the onions and garlic. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add the white wine and lemon zest and stir a little until the rice absorbs the wine.
  4. Add the stock to the rice, one cup at a time, and stir frequently between each addition. Make sure the stock is warm when you add it and don't add additional stock until the rice has mostly absorbed the previous addition.
  5. Continue to add stock and stir for about 25-30 minutes, or until the rice has become cooked and tender but is still a little firm. It may not be necessary to use all of the stock to achieve the right consistency.
  6. Meanwhile, heat up the olive oil in a separate pan and saute the zucchini for 4-5 minutes, or until it becomes tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  7. Once the rice has cooked through, add the lemon juice and Parmesan and stir through. Then add the corn kernels, zucchini, and cilantro and mix well to incorporate everything. Season with some salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment