Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tom Kah Gai


After my previous success with the thai curry mussels, I decided to challenge myself and recreate one of my favorite Thai soups: Tom Kah Gai, also known as chicken and coconut soup. The subtle flavors of lemongrass and ginger complement the coconut and red curry paste. I always love to order the soup whenever I go to Thai restaurants and I was encouraged by my family to try making it at home.

Traditionally, the soup actually calls for galanga instead of ginger and kaffir lime leaves however, despite living in an extremely Asian influenced city, I had difficulty finding all of the ingredients so I substituted fresh ginger root and lime zest instead. I don't think my soup suffered because of it and I definitely did not have the energy to go searching the city for two ingredients.

The actual preparation of the soup was not at all difficult and the whole thing was ready within half an hour. Personally, I found the hardest part to be properly cleaning and preparing the unfamiliar ingredients before tossing them into the soup. Luckily I was wise enough to ask the shop clerks how to handle the lemongrass and ginger and was very grateful to them for their explanations, including how big to cut the pieces.

Once I made the soup the whole family was eager to try it and I was curious to see if they thought it actually tasted like the real thing. The verdict: total success! Apart from my little brother, for whom the soup was too spicy, everyone had seconds and the soup was completely consumed down to the very last drop. Funny enough, my older brother did not see one of the Thai bird chiles floating around in the broth and he ate it whole, seeds and everything. My mom claimed she could see the steam coming out of his ears as we sat there and watched him turn bright red and start sweating. Fortunately he ate some watermelon and that seemed to help cool off the heat and he was able to resume eating the soup. At the end of the night, I was quite pleased with myself not only for making the soup but also for having the confidence to venture into unknown territory. Who knows what else I can do now...I guess only time will tell.

Tom Kah Gai
  • 1 stalk lemongrass
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
  • 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 6 slices fresh ginger, cut 1/4" thick
  • 6 Thai bird chiles
  • 2 limes, juiced + zest of one lime
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 400 mL can coconut milk
  • 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • 2 cups oyster mushrooms, stems removed and caps quartered
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  1. Prepare the lemongrass by peeling the outermost layer and cutting the stalk into 2" long pieces. Whack the pieces with the flat side of the knife to crush them slightly.
  2. Peel the ginger and cut into disks about 1/4" thick. For a hotter tasting soup, cut up the Thai bird chiles, otherwise simply cut a slit down the side of each one.
  3. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until hot then add the chopped onions. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes, then add in the garlic and saute for one more minute.
  4. Add the lemongrass, curry paste, ginger, lime zest, and Thai bird chiles and continue to cook over medium heat for another 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add the chicken stock and bring the broth to a boil then reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Add the coconut milk, chicken pieces, and mushroom caps and continue to cook for another five minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
  7. Add the lime juice and fish sauce and stir through. You might find that after tasting the soup it could use a little bit more lime juice or fish sauce, it depends on your own preferences.
  8. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment