Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beef Chili


A couple of years ago, before I developed my passion for cooking and baking, I had an idea that I wanted to make chili. I don't quite remember what had inspired this...a sudden craving I guess...but my mom agreed to make chili if I provided her with a recipe. Obviously back then I did not browse food blogs on a regular basis so I simply typed "chili" into Google and clicked on the first recipe that popped up and sounded relatively easy. We made the chili later that week and it was a hit; better yet my cravings were satisfied and I got to spend some quality time in the kitchen with my mom.

Since then my mom has made her own adjustments to that basic recipe from years ago and I love her chili even more. A week ago my mom asked me to prepare the chili for dinner since I had the time and we had all the ingredients. The funny thing is that I honestly felt a little unsure and scared. Although I had prepared the original chili with my mom it had been a long time ago and she had since made even more delicious versions. I was a little intimidated because I loved her chili so much and was afraid mine wouldn't stand up.

I set forth on cooking the chili and was pleased when the family gobbled it up, just like they would my mom's. She said that she had no doubts I could create a chili that would probably be even better than hers. I assured her that could never be the case because her chili had her heart in it...I swear you could taste the love in every spoonful.

Although I used ground beef and red kidney beans for my chili, I've discovered that this recipe is quite versatile and lends itself to plenty of add-ins or substitutions. For example, the original recipe I got from the internet years ago called for ground turkey and white beans. Also, my mom tends to add vegetables such as eggplant or zucchini if we have it on hand. The recipe below is really just the bare bones; it can be used as a starting point for more robust chilis or it can be made as is in basic form. Either way, it makes for a nice and comforting soup that can warm you up on a cold day.

Beef Chili
  • 2 lbs. ground beef (can use leaner meat instead)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes (I used plum tomatoes and squished them by hand)
  • 2 14 oz. cans red kidney beans (can use white instead)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Optional: 1 cup diced eggplant or zucchini 
  1. In a large pot, heat the oil on medium-high until hot. Add the ground beef and cook for 6-8 minutes or until no pink is visible.
  2. Add the onion and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and then cook for an additional minute.
  3. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the pot. Also add the tomatoes and their juices, water, and any other additions you choose.
  4. Heat to boiling on high then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: You may find at the end that you want a little more flavor; in that case add about one more teaspoon of cumin and chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment