Sunday, March 13, 2011

Creamy Mushroom Barley Risotto


After watching so many food shows and hearing so much about it, I finally got around to making risotto. I didn't make a traditional risotto with arborio rice because I didn't have any and I also wanted the extra protein that barley provides. One of the reasons why I had been putting off risotto-making was because I knew that it would be a long process. And now that I have made it...I can confirm that it is, indeed, a lengthy recipe from start to finish. This is because the liquid or stock is added to the risotto about one cup at a time and it must be stirred in until almost fully absorbed before the next cup can be added. Obviously this requires quite a bit of patience and time.

However, despite the time consuming nature of risotto, I also realize why it is that people still continue to make it...it's delicious! The effort is totally worth the creamy and smooth texture of the risotto which makes it melt in your mouth as soon as you take a bite. I cheated a little in my recipe to cut back on time and I added half of the stock to the barley, let it simmer for 15 minutes, then proceeded to add the rest slowly with stirring. Even though I didn't follow exact risotto protocol the results were still fantastic. In fact my mom loved it so much that she rated it on the same level as my roasted tomato and pepper soup which is extremely high praise because she absolutely loves that soup.

In the end, I don't regret that I used barley instead of rice or that I cheated a little with the time because the risotto turned out great. In the future, when I have more time, I will make an actual traditional risotto using arborio rice and with the proper stirring technique. But I will definitely be making this barley version again as well!

Creamy Mushroom Barley Risotto
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 10-12 button mushrooms, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 cups pearl barley
  • 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  1. In a large pot bring the broth to a boil and then set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a separate pot and saute the onions until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute for about 10 minutes until they become golden brown. If the mushrooms start sticking to the bottom of the pot add a little bit of water and stir them around.
  4. Stir in the herbs and garlic and season with some salt and pepper. 
  5. Add the barley and stir for one minute to coat completely then add 6 cups of the broth and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  7. Once most of the liquid is absorbed, proceed to stir in more broth 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure you keep stirring with each addition and that the liquid is almost completely absorbed before adding the next one. 
  8. Keeping stirring and adding broth until the barley is tender but still slightly firm. The more you add, the creamier it will be but you don't necessarily have to add all of the broth.
  9. Once it has reached the consistency you like and all of the liquid from the last addition has been absorbed, stir in the Parmesan cheese until it is fully incorporated. Season with some salt and pepper and enjoy!
Note: If you don't eat the risotto right away, the barley will continue to absorb more liquid. Reheating it with a little bit of liquid added (maybe 1/2 cup for the entire pot) will restore the creamy texture. Even without the extra liquid, warming it up helps to loosen the barley.

No comments:

Post a Comment