Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My First Post

Hello blogging world! I have recently become addicted to food blogs and tastespotting.com, resulting in many a late night sitting at my computer salivating over recipes and delicious pictures. I love clicking on all of the beautiful pictures and reading people's stories of how they came across the recipes. Inspired by all of the food, and encouraged by friend, I have decided to start my own blog. Who knows...maybe one day some other foodie will be sitting at their computer late at night, knowing that really they should go to bed, but instead decide to look at pictures of my food and enjoy my stories.Generally when I look at all of these recipes and I try to decide which I am going to attempt, I follow two rules:
  1. The recipe needs to be easy...or at least it needs to look that way. Although I love to spend time in the kitchen, I'm also a full time student and have a part time job. That said, there is only so much time I can devote to trying to figure out the detailed instructions of any given recipe. Therefore, I enjoy recipes that look and sound easy and employ techniques that I already know, or can figure out quickly. I also love recipes that include step-by-step pictures, but that's just an added bonus, not a requirement.
  2. I need to have most of the ingredients already in my kitchen. Let's face it: there are a million different ingredients in the world and although my local grocery store caries most of them, that doesn't mean I want to have to run out to get some obscure ingredient that will cost a ridiculous amount of money and I will probably not use again anytime soon. Therefore, when I look up a recipe I mentally calculate how much I already have and how much I need to go out and buy. If I feel that I have an ingredient that is equivalent, I usually substitute it for the one in the recipe.
Hopefully my blog can showcase some good recipes and if not, at least people can get a laugh at all of my food-related stories. Somehow it turns out that each recipe I try always comes with some sort of hiccup, making for some fun stories to tell afterward.

Note: I don't claim any of these recipes as my own. Each recipe I make usually comes from somewhere, though I almost always end up changing a few things along the way. I will try to post my version of the recipe as well as a link to the original for anyone who wants to give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, finally! I'm really excited to see which recipes and stories you post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog idea is very intriguing. No matter what, I love reading and, most importantly, eating all your delicious creations. Good luck with all your adventurous cooking and writing. Love you!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete